Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Blake versus Chad

A few nights back, we were sitting around and Hallie began to make up a game. This all-around competition was going to take place between myself and Blake. For round one, it was a two question trivia face-off. Hallie asked me, "How many homeruns did Babe Ruth hit?" I answered correct with 714. She then asked Blake, "Do you like ice cream?" Blake answered correct with yes. For my second question, Hallie asked, "How many homeruns did Hank Aaron hit?" I answered correct again with 755. She the asked Blake his second question which was "Do you like me?" Blake said yes and was told that was the correct answer. Round one ended in a tie. Blake-1 / Chad-1

For round two, it was to be a catching contest. Blake and I were to throw a ball back and forth. Every time you caught it, you got a point. First person to ten wins. Blake started throwing the ball hard over my head and won this round. Blake-2 / Chad-1

For round three, Hallie informed us that we were to have a juggling contest. Since Blake cannot juggle more than one ball at a time, I easily won this one. Blake-2 / Chad-2

For the final contest, Hallie announced that it would be a reading contest and pulled the book to be read from Blake's school backpack. It was How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Being a bit cocky after my juggling win, I guess, I told Blake that he was going down. As if that wasn't enough, I say that I can read this book with my eyes closed. I open the book, close my eyes, and begin. I got out the first couple lines, said "The End" and closed the book. After hearing my trash talk, Blake was not going to take it lightly. He started talking smack back to me by saying that he could read the book without the book. He then recites 7-10 pages from the book, word for word. He started with "The Whos down in Whoville . . ." and went to the point in the story where the Grinch ties a horn to his dog's head. It was incredible and completely unexpected. When he stopped, I declared him the winner. Hallie wanted to keep playing, but there was no way that I was going to play any further. I couldn't stand for any other humiliation and took my beating and left. Blake won 3 to 2.

After that, I asked him how he had memorized all of that. He just said that it was his favorite book and that he reads it all of the time. I knew that it was his favorite book, but I had no idea that he had memorized. That was a good one. The next time Blake and I compete it will be a contest that I know I can win. Maybe something like which one of us is taller.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GO BLAKE!!!!