Thursday, March 22, 2007

Bad Dreams

Hi everyone. I'm Chad, the dad that Jaime has mentioned. One of the duties of being a dad is getting woke up in the middle of the night when one of your kids has a bad dream. The other night, Hallie taps me on the shoulder and says that she had a bad dream. I asked my usual opening question which is, "what was it about?". She says, "I had a dream that I was asleep in my bed and Blake's drum set started putting itself together under my bed and poking me in the back through my mattress". Since Hal sleeps on the bottom bunk and the drum set is on the floor under her, I am sure you can see how frightening this is, right? After informing her that drum sets do not assemble themselves and that I would rather sleep than assemble a drum set under her bed, I tuck her back in the bed and she goes to sleep. As strange as this dream may seem, it is not the strangest that I have been told. One night, a while back, Blake wakes me up. He was crying and said that he had a bad dream. After the usual question, he says, "I had a dream that my legs were stuck in the toilet and you were pee-peeing on me". Of course, you don't want to laugh at your child's bad dreams, but sometimes they make it hard. After a few minutes of silence, while I am trying to regain my composure (thankfully the lights were off), we make a trip to the bathroom to show him small the hole in the toilet is and to show him that his leg won't fit. I also assured him that I look before I go to the bathroom in the middle of the night so I would not pee on him. Then he calms down and goes back to sleep. I know most kids are afraid of monsters, ghosts, Frankenstein, and other terrifying things, but sometimes I guess self-assembling drum sets and dads who pee on their kids can be just as frightening. With that being said, parents, please turn on the light and look when you make that middle of the night bathroom trip just in case one of your kids is stuck in the toilet. We can't have kids being terrified of that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am crying I'm laughing so hard! Thanks for the visual, it's priceless!